Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wacky Wednesday

Here we go again....just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. I got a call at work today from my surgeon's office that they forgot to do blood work in the pre-op testing that I underwent on Monday. So I need to go to the hospital after work to get blood drawn. No problem, right?

The lab closes at 6:00, so I knew it would be a close call when I left at 5:15. I got to the hospital at 5:30 and had to wait fifteen minutes to register. As the clerk rolled her eyes at me when I told her why I was there, I felt my blood pressure start to rise. I took a deep breath and asked her to call down to the lab to alert them I was coming, and she did. I got to the lab as fast as I could and the phlebotomist had me in the chair, blood drawn, and out the door before you could say “Venipuncture”. I never even got to make my standard quips: “You won’t have to shave the hair to find my vein” or “I won’t bite or scratch” or “if I can get blood out of a two pound kitten or a 90 gram cockatiel, you shouldn’t have any problem”. The last one I save for the techs I know; I don’t want to antagonize anyone poking a needle in my arm! One more thing crossed-off the list before S-Day next Tuesday. Only a zillion more to go....

No comments: