Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Cuteness Day

We had the cutest dogs come in all day at the clinic, but I think the prize goes to Archie, a young French bulldog, who is just the cutest dog ever. Don't you agree?




Archie is just as sweet as he is cute. French bulldogs are similar to Boston bulldogs, but larger and sturdier. Great personalities, friendly, eager to please and active dogs, they make wonderful companions. We don't see many of them, but I like every one I have met ;>)

I had some wonderful news today. Monday I saw one of my very favorite cockatoos, Wiley. Wiley is a ten year old Moluccan cockatoo (like Merlin) with a history of feather destructive behavior (FDB). He has been worse this past month and I have been treating him. Monday Wiley came to see me because he began mutilating. This is something that is truly horrifying. These magnificent, intelligent beings began ripping chunks of flesh from their bodies, many hemorrhaging fatally or succumbing to overwhelming bacterial infections. There are as many causes of FDB as there are cases of it, but I believe that a significant factor is that we take the chicks away from their parents too early. I think this causes some serious impairment to the bird's psychological and mental health.

Wiley was in the second category a couple of days ago. He was so ill that he couldn't even lift his head. His parents were worried and afraid. I was sick, I was afraid my little buddy was dying. We pulled out all the stops, put him on two different antibiotics, prozac, pain meds, topical antibiotics. Wiley came in for a recheck today and is doing better; more active at home, eating well, seems a bit more comfortable. I walked in the exam room, picked him up and cuddled him; he looked at me and, in a weak little voice, said "Hi Wiley". The first words he has said in a couple of days! I kissed him and my heart lifted. As I told Wiley's mom, he is not out of the woods yet, but we ARE making progress.

You have been in my prayers, little man, feel better, Wiley!

1 comment:

Shirley Alexander said...

My heart breaks for Wiley! I hope his parents see this and can read it... it's wonderful how you treat your patients in your heart, not just with your hands and knowledge.

The French Bulldog is ADORABLE!! I've never met onw!