Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Tribute to Lexie

Lexie Mervar died last night. Lexie was an eleven year old Siberian Husky who belonged to my cousin, Michelle, and her husband, Bob. Lexie was a truly beautiful dog, a loving companion, with an indomitable spirit and a joy for life that inspired all who had the privilege to know her.

Twelve years ago, Michelle and Bob lost their only child, Sean, in a tragic car accident. They are devout and faithful Christians;their faith never wavered. They knew God's grace carried them, even in this terrible tragedy. Never having had children, I cannot begin to imagine the awful, unbearable grief of losing a child. Bob and Michelle never complained, living bravely on in their devastation.

I only knew later what I had suspected, that they suffered terribly. Michelle told me, more than once, how Lexie had saved her life after Sean died. I met Lexie as an exuberant puppy, a bouncing ball of fur and joy and life. What had Bob and Michelle gotten themselves into? I wondered how my cousin, always immaculate and precise in appearance,housekeeping and her life, was going to cope with this puppy who would chew, soil and shed all over, all the while running rings around her people. But Lexie was exactly what was needed: God sent Lexie to Bob and Michelle to help them begin healing and He sent them to Lexie to take care of her, for Lexie proved to be a special needs dog.

Lexie grew and thrived; I saw the smile return to my cousin's eyes. I saw Michelle more frequently since she made that hour drive to bring Lexie to my clinic for puppy vaccinations. However, when Lexie was just a couple of years old, she injured her knee and had to undergo surgery for repair. The hair that was shaved for surgery never regrew and after several months, Lexie began losing more hair. We did skin tests, blood tests, cultures and biopsies. I consulted veterinary dermatologists. Michelle took Lexie to a veterinarian who tried homeopathic remedies. Hair continued to fall out.

The hair never regrew, except in odd tufts and fuzzballs. Lexie sure didn't care, she bounced into the clinic, with that gleam in her eye, barking joyously, announcing her presence. Michelle loved Lexie just as much, maybe even more, in spite of her appearance, although I know she would have dearly wanted to see Lexie again with that gorgeous full coat she had as a youngster.

Last fall, Lexie became suddenly ill as a result of an autoimmune disease which destroyed her red blood cells. We thought we would lose her, but she rallied, and began to recover. She had to take massive amounts of cortisone to counteract the disease. A few months later her blood sugar levels began to climb and, in spite of dietary intervention, Lexie developed full-blown diabetes. We started Lexie on insulin a couple of months ago and, once again, she responded well. Bob and Michelle, always the ideal clients, followed instructions meticulously and when I last saw Lexie ten days ago, she had that gleam back in her eye and barked enthusiastically for her treats at the clinic. I spoke with Michelle just a couple of days ago to review Lexie's care, and everything seemed to be going very well.

Until I received the call last night. Michelle crying on the phone, Lexie yelping in the background, so I knew it was bad. Lexie was having seizures. What to do? I knew that Bob and Michelle would not want to leave Lexie at an emergency center and I wasn't sure how much they would be able to help. We had talked previously about how much we would put Lexie through in another crisis. But they were so far away from me! We thought it was probably time to make that final decision. I told them to load her in the car and bring her up.

Michelle called about forty-five minutes later and told me she thought Lexie was gone, she couldn't find a pulse and she couldn't see her breathe, but they wanted me to check, just to be sure. I met them at the clinic and when they laid her on the table, I knew that it was all over. There was nothing in those once-bright eyes and, although the body was still warm, the life had gone. Lexie's spirit had left and all we had were the memories of her love and joy in life.

Do dogs go to heaven? I don't know, that is not for me to know. What I do know is this: God is love, and he who abides in love, abides in God. Lexie was God's creation, just like you and me, and Lexie was all about love. So I know that she is with God and that is where we all hope to be someday.

Good-bye, good and faithful dog! Till we meet again.....

No comments: