Sunday, April 13, 2008

Merlin the Star

If yesterday was fantastic, today was indescribable. I spoke about the avian wellness exam; I brought Merlin to be my "patient" as I demonstrated the exam. Knowing Merlin as I do, I felt a bit of anxiety. Merlin is definitely a bird with a mind of his own and that is what I love about him. However, this does make him a bit unpredictable at times and I wasn't looking forward to some unexpected craziness in front of an audience.

Well, I reckoned without the professionalism of a true star. Merlin was the most perfectly behaved Moluccan cockatoo I have ever seen. I could hardly keep my jaw from dropping! Merlin did get a tad loud initially, so I kept him in his carrier, except for potty breaks every thirty minutes. We were the last to present and Merlin was as quiet as a mouse in his carrier for over two hours.

When I did get him out, Merlin sat quietly on the back of a chair, not making a peep. When I asked him for his patented "Be a Cockatoo", Merlin deafened us with his screams. What a performer! I demonstrated putting a harness on Merlin and it took me several tries to get it right-even though we had practiced at home. Merlin sat patiently through it all and tolerated all my fumbling and ignorance; he was a poster child for the bond of trust that develops in a relationship built on positive reinforcement.

You can find pictures of the seminar here:
An Avian Adventure in Indy

Kudos
to my buddy, the best cockatoo in the world!

No comments: