Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Updates

I am still reeling from the Tweeeze experience yesterday! My face is broken out in red bumps and I can barely keep from scratching. The itching is intense and relentless. I just hope it clears up before this weekend. I feel like a teenager with a big zit on her nose the day before the prom!

My buddy, Wiley the cockatoo, was in for a recheck today and is feeling much better. His skin is healing and the infection is resolving. Best of all, Wiley is talking again ;>) When I heard his sweet little voice saying "Cookie, cookie, cookie", my spirits lifted and I grinned from ear to ear. His mom says Wiley says "cookie" to call his dad and (we both think) he uses it to call me. When I walked into the exam room, Wiley's beautiful orange crest went up, and he came running across the table, stepped onto my arm and laid his head against my chest.

Such a demonstration of trust touched me deeply, because I know I am not worthy of that trust. I have unintentionally hurt Wiley in the past; it is just that some things we do are uncomfortable, even painful, especially these last few weeks since he has been so sick. Most cockatoos desire our contact so much that they tolerate more obnoxious behavior from us than other parrots.

I hate inflicting pain on my patients, even when I know that it is in their best interests. Animals simply cannot understand why I hurt them, so I try to use every opportunity to associate something positive (food treats, petting, praise,etc.)in my interactions with my patients. I begin an exam with petting and treats, continue this during the exam, and be sure to finish with a long, relaxing session of positive reinforcement before they leave. It doesn't always help, but it never hurts to try to do this with my patients.

No comments: