Thursday, April 24, 2008

Titillating Thursday

The fun just never ends. Ray called me from work last night about 10:00 and asked me if I found the insurance letter. What insurance letter? We get all our mail at the clinic and I never saw a letter from the insurance company. Evidently they sent it to the home address and it was delivered to Mom and Dave next door. Dave had given it to Ray earlier in the day and Ray had laid it on the computer desk.

I went to get the letter and about fainted when I read it. Our home-owner’s policy was canceled, effective May 5, because we lived too far from the fire department. What kind of craziness was this? Was this a reaction to the fire claim we had ten years ago? Surely not!?! And, of course, I couldn’t reach anyone at that time of night, so I left a message. I got on the phone as soon as I was free this morning and got it all straightened out. Our agent was rewriting the policy to get us a lower premium and she had been working on this problem for the past couple of weeks. So everything is under control..sort of…I think…maybe..it better be!

A word of advice on insurance: ALWAYS get replacement cost coverage. Because our insurance agent was a friend, I trusted him completely when he wrote the policy and told me he would take care of us. And he did, we did have replacement cost coverage. When we had the fire, it destroyed almost everything in the bedroom, where the fire started, and the smoke damage was unbelievable throughout the rest of the house. Most of what had to be replaced was old and worth little. Without proper insurance, we never would have been able to replace everything. Of course, we did lose some things that money can’t buy and it was a very traumatic experience for all of us.

Never leave a burning candle unattended, even if you are only in the next room. That’s what started the fire and I have not burned a candle since! My brother Dave affectionately nick-named me Her Royal Majesty, the Fire Queen, commonly referred to as HRM, FQ. Close friends still call me “Queenie”.

No comments: