Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday, Monday

The day dawned gloriously in a gray haze of overcast clouds and fog. As I hurriedly dressed and did my morning chores, I kept one eye on the clock. I had a 10:00 appointment with the surgeon and a forty-minute drive to his office. Dogs barking to go out, cats running between my legs, meowing for breakfast, Merlin calling "Pretty Bird" and Shelby yelling "Trevor" (translated, that means "come here, NOW!"), it was all a typical morning at the zoo.

I managed to feed them all, get dogs out and in, birds settled and myself dressed and on the way at 9:05. I tried to open the door to the van-oops! Locked the keys inside. I shook my head and reached into my purse, pulling out the spare key, put it in the lock, nothing. Now my blood pressure started to rise! I ran back inside, got my husband, who looked at the spare key I had and told me it was the wrong one. He got his spare key and opened the door to the van for me. Whew, 9:15, now I am on my way, but I still have plenty of time.

I'm driving along, talking to the clinic and giving them instructions for the day, when traffic comes to a screeching halt. Oh, no! Road construction! Ten minutes later, I'm on my way again. Surprisingly enough, I am only a few minutes late for my appointment.

Now I get the good news. This gallstone thing is more serious than I thought, the surgeon wants to remove my gallbladder sooner, rather than later, and, after the last month, so do I. I am tired of the pain and nausea that seems to be getting worse. So I am scheduled for gall bladder removal on April 29! Wheeee.

I get all my pre-op testing and pre-certification finished. By this time it is 1:00, the time I had scheduled to have my hair done. I get out of the hospital a little after 1:00 and call my hairdresser. She tells me to come ahead, she will work me in. On the way there, I start making the phone calls needed to rearrange my schedule for surgery next week. I finally get to my hairdresser's, and she does my hair as we discuss and resolve our life problems. She begins drying my hair and I fall asleep, still talking.

Done with hair, I return home, to begin the cycle of menagerie management all over again. All in the day of an animal repairwoman.....

No comments: