Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Long Day

Here I sit at 7:00 p.m. typing in medical records...ahhh, the glorious life of a veterinarian ;>) I know that everyone thinks I play with the cute puppies and kitties and birdies all day, and I do! But at least a third of my day is spent in paperwork.

Keeping a written record of my patients is vital to their well-being. We have become close to paperless here at CVC in the last two years and I love it. No more searching for lost files or trying to decipher illegible doctor's handwriting. It is all in the computer and is easy to find and read. And I find that we are keeping more thorough records, too. All lab reports are in the electronic record and at our fingertips when we need them. We have computers in our exam rooms and one in my office and lab area so we can access any patient record quickly. But all that data DOES need inputed and a great amount of it is typed in by yours truly. At least my typing skills have greatly improved ;>)

After the records are done, then I need to pay bills, do taxes, go through the mail before my desk is buried in it and assorted other odd jobs. Sometimes I try to multi-task, but that just gets confusing. My husband, Ray, works second shift so I am used to being on my own in the evenings. However, he is on vacation this week and is at home. He just called, so I am on my way out...tomorrow is another busy day at CVC and I've got chores at home waiting. I love being busy-it keeps me out of trouble ;>))

No comments: