Monday, April 7, 2008

Food Hounds

Jessie is our seven year old Rottweiler. She was a stray that one of my friends found in her yard. She called me to tell me that this killer dog had her cornered in her yard and could I come and help. It was a slow day at the clinic, so I and my tech decided to run over to my friend's house. When we got there, we found a frightened four month old Rottie pup in the back yard, that would fearfully snarl when we approached her. However, we had our wits about us when at the clinic, and had remebered to bring food..a little canned cat food is irresistible, especially to a hungry pup. I held Jessie on my lap while we took her back to the clinic. My husband, Ray, had always wanted a Rottie, so I took her home. Ray loved Jess, but she loved me: she is my shadow at home. I can leave a room where she is soundly sleeping and the next thing I know , she is underfoot.

A few years after Jess joined our happy family, Timmy came along. Timmy is a long-haired Chihuahua, who was an injured stray. He had a badly fractured pelvis and viciously bit anyone who tried to handle him. I plied him with doughnuts and, within 24 hours, Timmy was mine. He allowed me to pet him and even carry him. I kept him at the clinic and tried to find a home for Timmy. None of my clients who had had Chihuahuas in the past wanted him. It started when I took Timmy home for a few hours one weekend because I didn't want him to be alone. That developed into "Timmy can't stay at the clinic alone at night". The next thing I knew was that Timmy was living with us.

Timmy and Jessie are best of friends; Timmy is the boss, of course. Timmy is MY dog, no question. He does not like anyone to get within three feet of me (including Ray!). Timmy barks and runs at anyone approaching me and when they turn around to leave, he runs after them, jumps up, and bites their rear end. It's not funny-those little Chihuahua teeth can hurt!

Ray works second shift and I never worry with my two protectors in the house.

No comments: