Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Merlin and Timmy

A few days ago, we had an "incident" between Merlin, our Moluccan cockatoo and Timmy, our long-haired Chihuahua. First, a little background...Timmy is a rescue who had been severely injured (likely HBC-hit by car)and came to the clinic to recuperate and find a home. None of my Chihuahua clients were interested in the little guy. Long story short, Timmy joined our gang at home about four years ago. Jessie, our Rottie, is his best friend. Timmy pretty much ignores the cats and the birds, although Merlin has chased him off the bed a time or two. Timmy is MY dog-he does not like to be far from my side and he certainly does not want human or animal near me. He barks and will bite, protecting me from all real and imaginary danger.

Merlin occasionally likes to do a little "walk-about" on the floor and beware all who get in his way. Merlin delights in chasing anything that runs from him...and, believe me, we ALL do because we all have felt the power of the Beak!

So, here is the story...I am getting dressed, Merlin is happily playing with a pen on the floor. He is carrying the pen, writing point down. Merlin looks so cute, like he is going to write a letter. Enter Timmy, stage right. Merlin sees his chance and as Timmy approaches me, Merlin puffs up and charges him, pen in beak. Timmy feints left, trying to reach me, Merlin parries with his pen and effectively prevents Timmy's access to me. Timmy weaves back and forth, desperately wanting to get to me and Merlin blocks his every move. Finally, Timmy gives up and runs away-he knows he is no match for the mighty cockatoo! Merlin drops his weapon and proudly gives voice to his victory. Once again, the pen is mightier than the Chihuahua!

Would you want to tangle with this?

3 comments:

Shirley Alexander said...

THAT is an AWESOME photo, Ellen! It says it all!!

Parrot said...

Oh, that is such a perfect pic of him! What an expression! I would give him a wide berth too! :>)

Ellen said...

That photo was taken several years ago by brother Dave, as I was getting Merlin all riled up or , as I like to say, "poking a stick at a bear" ;>))